Indian weddings and blues

I have been to several Indian weddings these include weddings from different regions and different religions. One common thread in all these weddings is their absolute capability to put a major dent in your savings/future savings. I never understood what the fuss was about, why do we feel the need to invite 300 - 1000 people to show -up congratulate us, smile, eat and walk away. Nor do i understand the zillions of mini rituals that go on before and after the weddings.
The weddings in the summer are the worst last time i went armed with antacids and ORS, and believe me when i tell you everyone came asking for it. I have been to weddings of my cousins, uncles and aunts. Figured it is better when you belong to the grooms party, but i was dead wrong..there is still so much work and so much food and a zillion lil festivities.
Of course another most irritating part about weddings is the million matchmakers “when are u getting married?”,” you will be getting married next”, ” let me find u a nice groom” etcc etc phew man most of the time i just want to say “Go away”, “mind your own business”!!! and some other choice words.
My question is why can’t things be simple!! i get tonnes of responses ranging from it’s tradition to its a once in a life time event, it’ fun ( i don’t consider dolled up in heavy silk sarees in 40 degreee celcius weather, and changing clothes several times a day as FUN) etc. I will have to resign myself to put up with the whims and fancies of everyone so wholly connected or unconnected to me and strangle my consience on the strain i am placing on the planet when i do finally get married.
WEll anyways i am in the midst of another wedding and it is hot…so yeah i am ranting because i had to re-pack some gifts since they wer’nt pretty enough the first time!!!

0 comments: